New Zealand Road Trip – 2 Week Itinerary.
To save you a bit of time planning your holiday in New Zealand, below I’ve outlined a 2 week road trip traveling from Queenstown to Auckland.
There is quite a bit of travelling involved in this itinerary. The holiday could be easily split over a 3 week period but doable in 2 weeks.
2 week Itinerary
Queenstown 3 nights
- Arrive and pick-up car.
We used GOrentals and found them to be easy to deal with. The car had only 14,000km on the clock and was the cheapest we found.
It’s a good idea to book your ferry from Picton to Wellington asap. The ferry can fill up so get in early to avoid changing your itinerary.
- Queenstown to Glenorchy drive (2 hours return)
- Queenstown Skyline Gondola and Luge Adventure Combo
The drive from Queenstown to Glenorchy is absolutely stunning. It’s only a 2 hour return trip. Don’t pack lunch as there’s a few excellent places to eat in Glenorchy.
In the afternoon head off to Queenstown Skyline Gondola to luge your way down from Bob’s Peak. Below is the view from the top. If you want a bit more excitement you could hire a mountain bike and ride down.
- Canyon Jet Boat Tour 10am
- The Original Onsen 2:30 pm
- Ferg Burgers for Dinner.
Another action packed day. Jet boating in the morning. An incredibly exciting way to enjoying the scenery. The skill level of the guys driving these boats is amazing. I highly recommend doing this one.
In the afternoon relax at the Original Onsen overlooking the river you were zooming up and down in the morning.
After a day like that you’ll have a strong appetite. While your in Queenstown you have to go to Ferg Burgers. These burgers are renowned worldwide.
- Big Swing or drive to Te Anau early to see the Glow Worm Caves.
- Drive to Te Anau (2 hours 30 mins)
Te Anau 2 nights
- Doubtful Sound Cruise from Manapouri or Te Anau
Doubtful Sound is nothing short of spectacular. If it’s raining that’s even better as the numerous waterfalls will be in full flight.
- Milford Sounds Cruise
- Drive to Wanaka (3 hours)
Wanaka 1 night
- Blue Pools Track – Makarora
- Lake Wanaka
- Wanaka Lavender Farm
- That Wanaka Tree
- Drive to Pukaki (2 hours)
Pukaki 1 night
- Hooker Track
- Peter’s Lookout
- New Zealand Alpine Lavender Farm
- Lake Tekapo driving out
- Aoraki Mt Cook Alpine Village ???
- Drive to Christchurch ( 3hrs and 30mins)
Christchurch 1 night
- Driving from Pukaki Christchurch checkout Tekapo Springs
- Drive to Kaikoura (2hrs 30mins)
Kaikoura 1 night
- Kaikoura: Half-Day Seal Kayaking Guided Tour or
- Kaikoura Swim with Dolphins
- Drive to Picton (2hrs).
- Ferry to Wellington (3hrs 30mins)
Swimming with the dolphins was booked out so we decided to Half-Day Seal Kayaking Guided Tour. This was a nice activity before our long journey to Wellington. Book on the late ferry to give yourself plenty of time. Picton is an excellent place for dining.
Wellington 1 night
- Taranaki Falls (4hrs 30mins)
- Drive to Taupo (1hrs and 30mins)
- Wairakei Terraces
You’ll need an early start today to pack everything in.
Taranaki Falls is an impressive 6km loop which should take around 2 hours to complete. The hike will offer plenty along the way such as, forests, views of volcanoes and mountains, and not to forgot the extremely scenic waterfall.
There are plenty of walks in Tongariro National Park if you blessed with a bit more time.
Check-in to your hotel then go to Wairakei Terraces. This place is absolutely awesome. There are 3 hot springs raging from around 40 degrees to 36 degrees. It’s also well worth doing the short walk to check out the geysers.
Taupo 1 nights
- Huka Falls
- Orakei Karako – On the way to Rotorua
- Optional if you have an extra day or 2.
- Half-Day Kayak to the Maori Rock Carvings in Lake Taupo.
- Tongariro River: Grade 3 Whitewater Rafting
- Jet boating at Huka Falls.
- Drive to Rotorua ( 1 hour )
Hukafalls is only a short drive from Taupo and is well work a look. The volume of water flowing is amazing.
On the way to Rotorua stop at Orakei Karako. This is a fantastic thermal park.
Rotorua 2 nights
- Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland
- The Polynesian Spa
- Rotorua eat street
Trying to work out what thermal parks to visit is a hard choice as there as so many in Rotorua. I don’t think you can go to wrong with Wai-O-Tapu Thermal Wonderland as it has plenty to offer.
Then take the afternoon relaxing at The Polynesian Spa followed buy a nice meal on Eat Street. Eat Street has a great vibe and plenty of excellent restaurants to choice from.
- Waimangu Volcanic Valley
- Drive to Auckland (3hrs 30mins)
Ok, last day of your 2 week itinerary. If you haven’t had enough of thermal parks yet head down to Waimangu Volcanic Valley. This will be an excellent way to finish the trip.
Enjoy your holiday in New Zealand and I hope this 2 week itinerary was helpful.